[3830] NewEngQP NZ1U(@W1UJ) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1ujay@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP NZ1U(@W1UJ) M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 02:06:10 +0000
                    New England QSO Party

Call: NZ1U
Operator(s): W1UJ N1WK
Station: W1UJ

Class: M/S LP
QTH: North
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:      24
   40:     219
   20:     814      4
   15:      13
   10:
------------------------
Total:    1074      4  Mults = 86  Total Score = 184,384

Club: BARNSTORMERS

Comments:

Congrats on super efforts to WA1Z and K1M.

Thanks to all of the stations following us, huge fun!

It was a beautiful ride in beautiful WX.  There is still snow up north, all ski
areas looked like they could still be open.  Temps seemed warmer up north than
CT.

N1WK piloted the 'Contest Caddy' for 900 Miles / 42 gallons.

Hit only one unpaved road for about 1/4 mile.

Had 7 computer lockups on Saturday and 16 on Sunday.  Self inflicted and
correctable.  Hand sent the last hours, it felt surprisingly efficient.

This was our 3rd attempt at rovering and each year we learn more.

Lessons learned from 2014-
Pass 'next counties' and warn early enough of the next county
Pass QSOs - not nearly enough, but was effective when applied

Lessons learned this year that need remedies!
-No S&P QSOS. The multiple contests would surely have CQ'n beacons to scoop
a couple quick QSOs in each county change on multiple bands
-Go with what you know, and is proven. We had a low powered WiFI Access point
in the car that we relied on way too much.  Hard wiring the network is
necessary.

All hardware worked pretty good. (WiFi not-so-much) One additional issue at the
start of both days' sessions had the rig stuck in TX without warning and smoke
out of rig!  Letting it cool off for a while and indicators still showed 100w,
but something was pretty warm (note - Unplug serial cable on rig for
shutdown!)

Hardware was K3/100- High Sierra 'screwdriver' and Hustler mast with changeable
resonators.

Software
CQ/x by NO5W GPS enabled logger
APRSIS32
Street & Trips 2010
GPSGate serving 2 laptops

DDWRT/10mw
Comtrol 8-port serial<>Etherent appliance for CAT and GPS

Thanks for all of the QSOs!  We are looking forward to next year.

The Barnstormers