[3830] WPX CW WV7Q(@N7ZG) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WV7Q(@N7ZG) M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 04:39:20 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WV7Q
Operator(s): N7ZG N7WA
Station: N7ZG

Class: M/S LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:    0
   80:   13
   40:  301
   20:  778
   15:  704
   10:   12
------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

I saw a recent article or caption that mentioned the most popular category in
contesting might soon be "two old guys and one radio".  I won't speak
for Guy, N7ZG but I definitely think that's me. Two hours on, two hours off and
I can do
it for 48 hours. Any more people and the intervals would be too long between
operating to keep my interest up.

Many thanks to Carolyn for the WV7Q callsign. The WV can be a problem
sometimes
(mistaken for W4) but it didn't seem too bad this go-around. It does help to
be
a multiplier. Guy has a potent station that was ideal to try the fairly new
MS/LP category (only the second year). Since the test wasn't on the Memorial
Day weekend, I was able to join him.

Conditions seemed odd. The 15 and 20M bands were alive but the hourly rate
meter never went past 40 much. It was just a steady grind for most of the 48
hours. Guy got excited once when his 10 minute meter jumped up to 135 once.
That was probably the peak of the test. Another oddity was having 15 Meters
open to Europe during most of the test.

I have a new name for the rate meter in N1MM+. The one that indicates the
hourly QSO totals. I am going to call it the Sisyphus Meter. Like Sisyphus of
Greek mythology, you roll the rock up hill every hour only to have it roll back
down to zero at the start of each hour. It was actually disheartening sometimes.
I obviously had too much time to think during this test.

Many thanks to Guy for hosting. (He was also chief cook and bottle washer and
cooked up some great chicken teriyaki.)

cheers
dink, n7wa