[3830] WPX CW KL7RA M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kl7ra@ptialaska.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KL7RA M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 09:38:18 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): AL7IF KL7RA KL7SB
Station: KL7RA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: ALASKA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:    0
   80:    2
   40:  433
   20: 1206
   15: 1570
   10:   18
------------

Club:

Comments:

Well, that was fun, mostly. The dreaded 40 meter Dragon from the east was on
and loud even before our sunset, sunset being a relative term, and totally
wiped
us out the first night losing all our 6 point run rates which drops us out of
the M/S competition. We did get the 40 meter band the 2nd night but you can
never catch up and I think the JA activity was impacted because of this stupid
OTH radar. The second scare was Sunday morning all the paths went skewed and
echo's caused the serial numbers to blend together. I changed the messages to
slow it down on our side that helped the WPX Serial Number Repeating Activity
which this really is during times like this. Europe was loud from the east,
never a good sign and added some confusion on which way to point to keep rate.
For awhile the answer was "no direction" was best. But by local noon
all was normal again and we ran to the end. Ten never really produced although
we heard and worked the few S-9 signals on the band. Seems odd to hear just a
few loud guys on a dead quiet band but it's common here. Even spotted we never
did get callers. 80 was absorbed, few W7's. 15 and 20 were the rate band
usually with three directions, producing almost all day and night.

Thanks to Steve, KL7SB and Wigi, AL7IF for giving up what was the best weekend
so far this summer in Alaska for a radio contest and to Pope Gregory XIII and
his Gregorian calendar that allowed me to operate the WPX and not miss Dayton
this year. Rich KL7RA  Kenai, Alaska