[3830] ARRL June VHF C6ATA Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenny.k2kw@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF C6ATA Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 03:43:43 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: C6ATA
Operator(s): AA7A W4KXY WO7R K2KW
Station: C6ATA

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: Bahamas
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  943   136
    2:   15    13
  222:
  432:    5     4
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  968   153  Total Score = 148,104

Club:

Comments:

Thanks for all the QSOs!  We had some great runs during the contest, though
except for two W7 QSOs on Saturday, we didn't get any multi-hop to the west
which really hurt our 6m grid total.  Overall we're happy with the score and
possibly edging out the past Bahamas multi-limited record.

6m conditions before the contest were abysmal.  Just before the contest
started, which was 7 days into the operation, the 2m EME station had more QSOs
than 6m did.  Yes, 6m was that bad.  So we were fortunate to have any
propagation at all during the contest.

Our 2m (terrestrial) and 432 QSO totals are less than we anticipated.  There
were a number of facets which contributed:
- We used Flex 1500 radios to drive the transverters, and we had many problems
with the radios crashing.  We didn't have external CW keyers, so the time delay
"feature" on the radio made CW all but impossible.  And we had
"manual" voice keyers to boot
- The stations were spread all over the villa so passing stations was difficult
at best, nor did we have networked stations.
- All antennas were manually rotated.
- The 2m EME array was placed on the south side of the house as it was the
clearest area.  When we went to operate terrestrial, we noticed someone built a
house in the direction we wanted to work. To manage some terrestrial QSOs we
moved the EME array the day before the contest and only fed a single upper
antenna's polarization (it was a a 72 element 4 x 9 ele with cross-pol)which
enabled the 2m station to at least work some south and mid Florida stations
(though many of the 2m contest QSOs and grids were on 2m EME)
- We overestimated the ability to work into FL from our island
- And the mosquitoes and no-see-ums were relentless so we were reluctant to go
outside and turn the antenna

Anyway, we made some new friends, had a relaxing vacation doing the hobby we
love and had a huge success with the new 2m EME portable station that AA7A put
together.  It's hard to ask for more.

QSL C6ATA via WA4WTG.

73, Kenny K2KW / C6ATA