[3830] SMIRK K1TO LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1to@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] SMIRK K1TO LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 06:32:46 +0000
                    SMIRK Contest

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EL87
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  CW Qs = 236  Ph Qs = 337  Mults = 177  Total Score = 114,696

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

75 SMIRK members + 498 non-members = 573 QSOs
648 QSO points
177 grids

ICOM IC-575H 100W
6M7JHV (7L) @ 55'

6 Meters is never the same band two days in a row.  Thanks to vastly reduced
level of line noise, I was able to enjoy the very interesting condx that both
days produced.

On Saturday, we had a lot of very short skip into W4 and MS.  That was later
followed by a path to the west that allowed CA and southern W7 QSOs, including
my first ever Nevada QSO for state #49.  (Later heard NH7R-- on .125 and got
excited, but it turned out to be NH7RO/W5 in TX.)

Sunday was completely different with an unprecedented opening to EU. Having
just started on 6M in June, 2013, the 27 EU worked over nearly 3 hours might be
more than the cumulative total EU QSOs in 2 years.  There were dozens of others
who didn't hear my 100W signal, not surprisingly.

But it was the QSO with 4X4DK that really stood above the rest.  Ami very
efficiently worked the US, fending off the EU callers, and sticking with each
caller as long as practical.  His signal was copiable for close to 2 hours, I
think.

True to form, the Pacific NW states which weren't heard on Saturday were
workable on Sunday.  With grid squares being exchanged and not states, it's not
as easy to come up with a number of states worked, but I think the only ones not
worked this weekend were ND, NM, MT, OR, AK and HI.

Then in the evening, JA7QVI and JE1BMJ were both very copiable.  I got what
seemed like clean calls in to both of them, but my 100W is just not enough.
Still quite a thrill to hear Japan again.

Thanks to all who called in.  CU again on 6M during Field Day and perhaps CQ
VHF, if the line noise stays away.

73, Dan