[3830] IARU EI7M(G0CKV) SOABMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, olof@rowanhouse.com
Subject: [3830] IARU EI7M(G0CKV) SOABMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 01:18:27 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: EI7M
Operator(s): G0CKV
Station: EI7M

Class: SOABMixed HP
QTH: Cork, Ireland
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5

  160:    17    18      4       20
   80:   127    28     14       30
   40:   509    24     18       32
   20:   746    80     31       42
   15:   713   135     33       44
   10:    38    24     12       25
-------------------------------------
Total:  2150   309    112      193  Total Score = 2,595,855

Club:

Comments:

I capped a relaxed week of touring in Ireland with a SOAB Mixed HP Unassisted
entry in IARU from EI7M. Irish summer weather during my two brief visits this
summer have reminded me of Swedish November weather but then we haven't got
many Irish Pubs to escape to in Sweden so these kind of summers in Ireland are
still preferable.

Thanks to the EI7M team I could once more enjoy SOAB contesting from the Cork
area. EI7M is a beautifully engineered station not normally used for SO. A
hilltop location with great antennas makes contesting enjoyable. Agile fast
single-op QSYs are not doable currently but so what - the station is a joy to
operate.

I decided to try SO Mixed HP un-assisted because it was likely to be most
demanding. I didn't miss the cluster or RBN but I did miss the agility and a
second radio to chase multipliers with. It is summer so conditions were summer
conditions but I don't think they were all that bad. Having said that I
couldn't get any great US runs going - it felt like activity was down from the
US but maybe it was the condx. Gale-force winds kept the 3-el 40m yagi at 40ft
which was a handicap for 5p qsos. Ten was pretty dead on Sunday (or maybe I was
dead?) but I did a couple of S&P forays to 10 and similarly 160 to fetch
some HQ multipliers. I had a couple of pleasant final hours on 15 with JA and
other East Asia stations calling in very readable.

No sleep during the 24 hours but in the wee hours of the night I did
contemplate the existential question: is this fun or would it be more fun to
just go to bed and sleep. In the end I persevered with a number of breaks for
some outside walk and fresh air to keep me alive.

Thanks to the EI7M team for allowing me to play with their toys and thanks for
the QSOs.

Grandpa duties permitting I might just appear as SM5CKV/P from EU-177 during
the IOTA contest in two weeks.