[3830] NAQP RTTY W6YX(N7MH) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY W6YX(N7MH) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 20:49:48 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:   33    16
   40:  106    39
   20:  256    50
   15:  100    31
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  496   137  Total Score = 67,952

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Golden Gate

Comments:

I'd never set up the station for RTTY so the hour and a half I'd allocated for
setting up before the contest took 3 hours with my first QSO at 1:35 into the
contest.

Trying to make up time on 15 for starting late resulted in not spending enough
time on 20 with a domino effect on 40.  I made frequent forays to check 10 but
only worked ND2T, 3 miles away.

A second radio would have been quite useful with some of the slow rates but I
could only get one radio to both transmit and receive.  I tried SO2V but the
cloned window never printed and froze when I tried to configure it so I gave up
after a couple of attempts.

The MMTTY squelch was preventing printing of all but the strongest signals
which it took me an hour or more to diagnose and turn off.  I also discovered
that the blown-out roofing filter in the FT1000MP was allowing the AGC to be
affected by not-so-close signals.  Turning off the AGC often improved print of
marginal signals.  Apologies to those who got the message "sri no
print" from me before I figured these out.

The Beverage antennas really helped on 40 where the QRN caused even strong
signals to print poorly using the Yagi.  The Beverages didn't cut the QRN as
much on 80 so I often got better print on the transmit antenna, an inverted
vee.

Thanks to everyone for all the repeats and also to those to whom I had to send
repeats.  Most QSOs were eventually completed.

73,
-Mike, N7MH