[3830] ARRL FD K1A 1A QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1whs@metrocast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K1A 1A QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 11:58:45 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  250     31      0  Total Score = 2,655

Club: Southern Maine Area Amateur Radio Team

Comments:

We operated from Kennebunkport,Maine at an elementary school. All operation was
on batteries with solar panels at the 5 watt QRP level. Conditions were not so
great on Saturday, and we had poor luck on 40 meters at the start. Signals were
watery and weak with an almost auroral sound to many of them.  Things improved
on Sunday, but a nor'easter blew in with heavy rains and high winds. Our tent
got flooded and at one point, there was a river flowing under the operating
table. Fortunately, the gear kept running. We needed a small tarp over the rig
for awhile when the rain was blowing in sideways. It was a good emergency test,
but we are all looking forward to better weather next time. The nor'easter made
our solar panel idea not very productive on Sunday, with no Sun at all. The
batteries held up, but our logging computer was a big drain on them. We had
three operators and about five or six more interested watchers!  Our score
includes all of our earned bonus points.