[3830] IOTA N4YDU(@W4O) Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA N4YDU(@W4O) Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 18:14:57 +0000
                    IOTA Contest

Call: N4YDU
Operator(s): W4KAZ N4YDU
Station: W4O

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: Ocracoke Isl. NA67
Operating Time (hrs): 17

   80:   16       5
   40:  182      32       24      10
   20:  243      34      215      33
   15:   25      11        5       3
   10:    2       2        1       1
Total:  468      84      245      47  Total Score = 715,915

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The weather started out rainy as we arrived on Ocracoke Island, NC on Thursday
afternoon. We waited for three hours until we began setting up at the NPS
campground. As it turned out, the WX was FB with cool temps and a nice breeze
through our departure on Sunday morning.

The campground does not have electricity, so we were 100 percent battery power.
Kaz did an excellent job of setting up the solar panels and batteries. We were
thankful to get an additional solar panel from good friend WB8YJF who was also
on the island to participate in the contest.

In addition to the electrical setup, Kaz did a fantastic job with antenna
supports. We used various fishing poles and military mast sections to erect a
dual band 40/20 inverted vee (about 30 feet in the air) along with an inverted
L for 80M. We also set up a 2 element tribander at 18 feet on a separate mast.
The antennas worked FB but propagation was sluggish for the most part. We did
get a really good opening to Europe on 20M for about two hours. Nice to work
VY2TT on 10 meters.

The Elecraft K2 worked well - it was perfect for this application.

Thanks for the QSOs!

73, Nate/N4YDU