[3830] NAQP SSB N4VI Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cadamsins@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N4VI Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 19:47:00 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: N4VI
Operator(s): N4VI
Station: N4VI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

  160:
   80:   48    22
   40:  247    38
   20:  204    42
   15:    3     2
   10:
-------------------
Total:  502   104  Total Score = 52,208

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Team: GM Blackhawk

Comments:

Rig: TS870
Logging: TR DOS

Antennas:

20/15/10:  VE7CA wire beam ~ 30’ pointed East
40m: Dipole/Vee @ 40’  E/W
80m: Dipole/Vee @ 40’  E/W

Aside from the obvious band cdx, this contest had very interesting high and low
points. On both 20 and 40 I had substantial runs that frankly left me somewhat
astonished and challenged my operating ability. I haven’t had rates like that
except perhaps on 10m years ago when the band was side open during an NAQP. At
other times, it was a very frustrating and low rate experience. (Since some of
this is a mental toughness issue, I’ll consult with the local sports
psychologist before the next contest!)

I was able to work almost everyone I heard on 80m with one call, but was very
hesitant to call CQ due to high noise level from local thunderstorms and other
noise issues...

I’ve had some local QRN/RFI issues on 80m that I haven’t totally been able
to track down. There is one circuit in the house that causes a problem and I
had that one shut off. Combined with the thunderstorms, it’s hard to
determine what all the various noise sources are. I definitely noticed a new
one during the test that appears to be related to rain. It was very regular
then it stopped which appeared to coincide with the rain stopping. After dark
it appeared again and I didn’t believe it was raining but apparently it was.
The power company rewired our entire subdivision last summer so perhaps there
are some new issues. Uugh.

Oh, and I missed CO on 40m. Go figure.

73, chris/n4vi