[3830] NAQP SSB AE0EE Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB AE0EE Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 03:51:36 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:
   80:   20    15
   40:   47    22
   20:   41    21
   15:    1     1
   10:
-------------------
Total:  109    59  Total Score = 6,431

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Team: Heard Island Rockhoppers

Comments:

100 W into dipoles up 20-25'.

Conditions were pretty bad.  I missed the first half hour while using the
antenna analyzer to figure out what was going on with my antennas, which
weren't displaying the low SWR I am used to.  The issues were chalked up to low
ground conductivity from the dry stretch we've had here (subsequently dampened a
day after the contest).

At the start, I was planning on operating 10/15/20/40 m.  However, it quickly
became apparent that 10 and 15 were nearly worthless.  Action was slow on 20 m,
so with awful conditions near the start I took my off time early.  Upon my
return there was some improvement, but it was still quite slow.

After dinner, I decided it was time to put up the 80 meter dipole.  It takes
quite a while to get it up there, but with the rate meter so low, I wasn't
losing much ground.  Having another band to use later into the night could
provide more QSOs and mults.  No bad weather was imminent (my lightning
protection plan involves taking all the antennas down), which made the decision
to put it up easier.  I was very glad I did, with 25% of my mults coming on 80
m.

Despite my efforts to run, it was essentially all search and pounce.  I think
my record was two stations coming back to me on one frequency before I moved
on, tired of calling away into the nothingness.

Many thanks to everyone who got on the air, and particularly those who pulled
my call and exchange out of the mud.