[3830] OhQP K5KG Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, georgek5kg@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] OhQP K5KG Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 13:32:51 +0000
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5KG
Station: K5KG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 6

   80:    0      0
   40:   50     28
   20:   35     10
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:   85     38  CW Mults = 43  Ph Mults = 25  Total Score = 14,144

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Got a late start at 1824z due to other stuff.  When I first turned on the radio,
I heard almost no signals at all.  I thought I either had a radio/antenna
problem, or condx were in the toilet.  It didn't take long to realize that
condx were in the toilet.  There were OQP stations on 40 but, being normal 40
daytime condx coupled with poor solar numbers, only a few were workable at that
time - K8AZ, K8PI, KI8R, KV8Q, and K8DV.  There were no copyable signal on 15m,
so I spent my daylight hours largely on 20m.

Mid to late afternoon, our friendly afternoon thunderboomers here in FL paid us
a visit, and I had to shut down a few times due to very high QRN and, at one
time, 20-over rain static.  As day turned into night, 40m condx improved, but
finally  shut down at 0155z.  By then, activity was very low and then, with few
exceptions, the only thing to do was to follow the mobiles [W9MSE, K8O, K1LT]
from county to county.  I did manage to work Jim, K8MR twice (TUSC & MUSK),
but he was p-weak...must have been QRP with his KX3...[way to hang int there,
Jim].

I enjoyed QSYing several stations to SSB.  Some said "no", but many
obliged, and this added some spice to the fun. I did manage to have a few
mini-runs on 40 SSB.

Rig: K3 barefoot
Antennas: Triband yagi @ 60' & 2L40 @ 75'

Tnx for the fun guys, and welcome to the end of Cycle 24!

73, George, K5KG