[3830] OhQP N8Q(N8XX) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] OhQP N8Q(N8XX) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 03:07:23 +0000
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: N8Q
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: CLINto County
Operating Time (hrs): 7

   80:   25     11
   40:   17      6
   20:    9      3
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:   51     29  CW Mults = 32  Ph Mults = 20  Total Score = 6,240

Club: flying pigs qrp club

Comments:

Wow! What a difference Old Sol can do to a pleasant outing to a rare county.
Very marginal internet connectivity, only by walking to the camp commissary
every so often for the latest.  So missed the fact that it was ionospheric
conditions which were the main culprit (high absorption on 40 and 80/75 meters)
rather than the marginal antenna I was using because of incorrect interpretation
of local report of "most trees in the campground are down due to a insect
infestation."

It proved what any LID (like me) knows - a 32 foot high inverted L antenna is
no match for a full sized 80 meter dipole at 70+ feet for 80, and even for 40
meters where it's up a half wave.  Being amidst a rather dense forest of 70+
foot high trees didn't help the radiation of my measly 32 foot high inverted L.
 Note to myself - NEVER attempt an end fed antenna for a contest operation
unless there's absitively NO other antenna possibilities.  And, marginal
internet connectivity caused me to NOT get a "rah rah, don't give up"
e-mail on the OHQP reflector, so I gave up at 7 hours into the battle.  I had a
comfortable margin (I hope) over the previous QRP record score from CLINton
county, and didn't have the foggiest idea that I could recover to my usual 20+
Q's per hour if I'd have stayed till midnight.

Yes, you can call me a wimp - and I'll freely admit it.  Goal was to set a new
record for the county as QRP, and only secondarily to try for another QRP
Plaque.

Thanks to the organizers of the event.  Lettuce Prey to the gods of the sun -
maybe we should take up a collection from this year's participants to placate
the sun gods such as Arinna , Apollo, Freyr, Garuda, Helios, Hepa, Arinna,
Huitzilopochtli, Hvar Khshaita, Inti, Liza, Lugh, Mithras, Re (or Ra), Amun
Shemesh/Shepesh,  Ugarit, Sol Invictus, Tonatiuh, Utu (Shamash), and ask them
to NOT send such a present as this year's CME to next year's event?  :)

Remember, OHQP 2016 is only a bit over a year away - it's scheduled for August
27, 2016, from 1600Z to August 28, 2016, at 0400Z!  Mark your calendars!