[3830] WAE SSB VR2XAN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vr2xan@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB VR2XAN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 16:17:44 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: VR2XAN
Operator(s): VR2XAN
Station: VR2XAN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Peng Chau Island
Operating Time (hrs): 28

   80:   39     0    84
   40:  217    32   111
   20:  209   214    78
   15:  469   491    94
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  934   737   367  Total Score = 613,257

Club:

Comments:

After 25 years of contest this was my first participation in WAE Contest.

My very simple working contitions (Icom IC756 PRO III + IC2KL, 400W out) and my
antenna set up (C4 rotary dipole 10-40 meters and the inverted V on 80) weren't
enough to have a decent fun with this incredible bad propagation.

After a couple of hours with big troubles to copy the weak signals on 15, I
decided to interrupt the contest for 40 minutes and to install, in my small
terrace, the 3 el. HyGain on 15 (153 BA) just with a 3 meters high pole. Of
course everything immediately changed :-)

Unfortunately when the band closed and i moved on 20... the simple dipole
didn't give me the same joy and the result on 20 is quite clear.

40 and 80 meters during the first night were very hard. 400W are in the middle
between the LP and HP category but on low bands... they are definetively LP...
:-)

Sunday the conditions seemed better but in the early afternoon I suffered an
incredible atmospheric noise level on 15. S7 to S9 for more than 3 hours where
I wasn't able to copy 80% of the stations who called me.
20 meters closed earlier than Saturday and the only thing to do was to listen
the huge pile up of 9V1YC where... I could hear 1 station every 10... :-(

Surprisiling 40 meters the second night were extremely good with low noise
level and incredible strong signals.

Anyway I've to learn a lot about the propagation from VR2. We are really far
away from the "rest of the world" and sometimes it's extremely hard
if not impossible to work some very easy multipliers (easy from Europe of
course!).

See you in the CQWW.

Best 73 de VR2XAN (IV3TAN)
Alberto