[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K3CCR(N3UM) SO 3Band LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K3CCR(N3UM) SO 3Band LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 15:28:49 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  24     14  Total Score = 350

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care retirement
community in FM18OW. For a year we've planned to get on SSB and CW at
VHF using gear brought by N3UM including an AB577 crankup mast, but
this was deferred to build up the HF station, and for things like
hip replacements. In the past month we had a huge juniper bush and
several trees removed or cut back to squeeze in the AB577 and its guy
cables on limited flat ground near the shack. We got the base up in
scorching heat Thurs., the 144 and 432 antennas and rotor put on Fri,
and cables run to the shack in rain and mud on contest day Sat. 9/12.
Sun. AM 9/13 the radios, transverters, and brick amps were cabled
together and checked, and the 40 m. inverted V checked for a 7th-
harmonic resonance on 6 m. Bingo: 2:1 SWR w/o tuner, 1:1 with! On 432,
TX was fine but rcvr noise was well below S1 and W3APL beacon 18 mi.
away not heard. So we concluded 432 RX was dead. Finally made 6 Qs on
2 and 6 m. before lunch Sun. Activity was low, tropo poor, only one
mast section in, so it did little good to be fresh meat. After lunch
a few more Qs and then W3GB helped crank in 3 more mast sections to
get the antennas just above the close-in hilltop to the NW. Got 3 more
Qs before supper plus 10 between 20 and 22 EDT. On 2 m. worked W2SZ
in FN32 320 mi. away on Mt. Greylock, cross-mode: encouraging! At 2130
EDT rate was zero so listened again for W3APL/B at 432.312.  There it
was, not loud but clear, at 432.310 on our dial.  Haste, low antenna,
and/or freq. offset may have made us miss it earlier.  Asked W3IP on
2 m.to QSY; we worked easily on 432 SSB at ~55 mi. range.  Transverter
gain is clearly 'way too low, but in sad hindsight we might still have
worked several other big guns on 432. After 22 EDT even the loud
multis went QRT, so we did too.  The AB577 is now at full height,
ready for the START of the next VHF test.