[3830] CQ WW RTTY N1EN SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mda@n1en.org
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY N1EN SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 00:27:33 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: N1EN
Operator(s): N1EN
Station: N1EN

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

   80:   72       26      17     8
   40:  300       44      57    15
   20:  377       34      75    24
   15:  279       14      78    23
   10:   12        1       7     5
------------------------------------
Total: 1040      119     234    75  Total Score = 1,055,020

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Q total is down from last year mostly due to the lack of a 10 meter band this
year.

Under conditions like this weekend, on the high bands diddling at low
power/modest antennas is like piddling into the wind.

The good news is that for the first time ever, I felt loud on 40m, especially
Saturday evening and the last 2 hours of the contest.

Sunday morning was particularly frustrating; the band seemed full, but no one
seemed to hear me.  I must remember to add "make burnt offerings to the
propagation fairies" to the pre-contest checklist before the next big
contest.

This was my first serious contest effort since spring, due to other commitments
on my time, including two deaths in the family (my mother and a dog).  I felt
their absence during the contest -- my mom had a habit of calling...or dropping
by...during big contests, and the dog required the periodic trip outside
regardless of whether a contest was underway or not. The additional
butt-in-chair time helps with the contesting effort, but the additional Q's are
not worth the cost.

This was also the first serious contest after adding a second K3 to the shack.
Previous SO2R efforts had used a K3 and an Icom 7100, which sorta worked....but
having two K3's was much, much better.  Now, I just need to practice SO2R
operating and get a better rhythm down.

Here's hoping I can find the time to finish getting the rough edges in the
current shack configuration worked out before the end of November.

Station:

K3×2
Hexbeam @ 12m
40m Delta Loop