[3830] CQ WW RTTY N2QT SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2qt@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY N2QT SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 21:47:34 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: N2QT
Operator(s): N2QT
Station: N2QT

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 33
Radios: SO2R

   80:  123       33      13     9
   40:  274       44      48    13
   20:  317       31      76    23
   15:  276       13      73    19
   10:   37        2      13     8
------------------------------------
Total: 1027      123     223    72  Total Score = 959,310

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I'd had a blast operating QRP assisted last year and figured I'd try it
unassisted this year. I had been pleased during my testing to see that I would
be spotted by RTTYSkimmers in both the US and Europe while running 5 watts and
with some improvements in sunspot numbers I figured it would be a good time to
try for the US QRP record.  I set a goal of 900K and was hoping for 1M.

However the loss of an open 10M was not nearly made up for by staying up late
for 40/80M.  It also didn't help to have a power outage of a couple hours on
Saturday afternoon, which meant I lost time (and didn't take a nap not knowing
when/if power would return).  Since you can't really run using QRP (or at least
I can't) there is a lot of tuning the band for new contacts. Running two radios
S&P turned out to be really tiring and I ended the contest fried, much more
than the modest operating time would indicate.

I left the third radio on 10M and would watch the bandscope to see when things
seemed to be happening. I set the rig on NR4M's frequency and would see if he
was working anyone interesting enough to have me check the band.

With 65% more time, I ended up with 24% more Q's but was down 7.7% on mults and
5.4% pts/q, showing I worked more US stations with the reduced conditions and
the lack of spotting assistance. I worried about the low mult count and
probably hurt my score sitting in pileups I couldn't break.

Radios Two Elecraft K3 and a KX3
KT34A at 60 ft,
3 el Steppir at 48 ft
40M rotary dipole at 54 ft
shunt fed tower on 80 M

All qso's uploaded to LOTW, and hope yours are too!