[3830] CQWW SSB AA4LR SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB AA4LR SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 01:07:49 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 6

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:   13     7        9
   20:   58    17       38
   15:   21    17       33
   10:   74    11       17
------------------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S/A743 at 15m high (40-10m)

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100 w/ KAT3 running 100 watts

Comments:

Other weekend obligations kept me mostly away from the radio, but I did manage
to get a couple of hours in at the opening, a little Saturday morning, and then
the last three hours of the contest Sunday.

Bands sounded pretty good. 10m was open at the start and finish, and I assume
in between as well. Very little east-west propagation on 10m at the end, so I
suspect conditions may have worsened over the weekend.

Would have loved to try my had at some DX on 80m, but my 80m antenna was down!
The matching network I use to shunt feed my 15m tall tower is not behaving
properly. I came home from work on Friday and re-wound the 80m coil, but I
found this did not fix the problem. While I never did see the arcing, since it
matches fine at 5 watts, but fails with high SWR with about 20-25 watts, I
suspect the matching capacitor of the L network is arcing. The plates show
signs of corrosion, and that could well be where it starts.

Despite my efforts to fix it, with the shunt feed down, I made do by having
some fun on the other bands and handing out a few contacts.

Operated assisted so I could see spots. 100% S & P operation, I mostly
tuned down the band.

Next up for me is SS Phone. Hopefully, I have the 80m situation sorted by then.