[3830] CQWW SSB IZ3NVR SOAB(A) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, menon.ste@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB IZ3NVR SOAB(A) QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 21:24:18 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: IZ3NVR
Operator(s): IZ3NVR
Station: IZ3NVR

Class: SOAB(A) QRP
QTH: JN65ep
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    9     2        7
   40:  103     9       44
   20:  213    19       61
   15:  205    18       66
   10:  183    22       53
------------------------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Wow, what a contest. I've been really busy lately and didn't have much time to
devote to ham radio and contesting but thanks to my patient and awesome
girlfriend I had a full weekend to devote to this one. Propagation lately has
been mostly poor with high bands not willing to cooperate and open up for DXes.
With these premises I was mostly interested in a Single Band effort probably on
20m but the possibility of playing radio for the entire weekend made me risk an
All Band entry and I got really paid back.

The first contacts were really easy to work regardless of the tiny power and
the splatter that the huge Kilowatt stations were producing on the bands.
Little by little things got slower and I found myself in crowded bands full of
already worked signals or full of signals I could not work.

Once again I find myself with a nice amount of QSOs (713 wow, a personal best)
but a huge lack of juicy multipliers that brings my overall score really down.
Even unassisted SOABs did better scores than I do. Hats off to VE3VN for the
awesome score, by the way. I really need to review my strategy before the next
one. Either I should spend more time on possible mults and lose a good amount
of 2 pointers (Russian stations mostly) or I need to focus on a different kind
of strategy. I hope to sort it out for the upcoming CQWW CW next month.

Overall conditions far exceeded expectations and I found 10m wide open both
saturday and sunday. Saturday with nice signals especially from North and South
America till late afternoon and some nice multipliers from the Pacific area on
sunday right before a flare ruined the fun and closed the high bands.

15m were packed as usual and, being my best band, its the one in which I worked
more countries.

Low bands overall really difficult to work due to the noise and the hours spent
yelling my call into the microphone to hear back just a "IZ3 again?...no
copy, QRZ". Low bands for QRP are just a no way, for me at least.

It was a long time since my last serious effort in a 48h contest and I suffered
a bit of BIC fatigue with the need to change chair in the middle of the contest
itself. Slepts some hours, especially the local nights one due to the inability
of working anything on 80m and 160m, and operated a total of 36h.

I'm really happy of the overall result and I really hope I can improve it in
the upcoming CW edition.

Thanks for all of you that dug my signal out of the crowd and gave me the
possibility to enjoy yet another contest.

See you in a month in the CW leg

Stefano