[3830] CQWW SSB N8II SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N8II SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 00:13:08 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB Classic HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 21.2

  160:    2     2        2
   80:   29    13       19
   40:   45    11       31
   20:  291    27       84
   15:  394    23       89
   10:  646    22       89
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It was not a serious effort, numerous problems with the antennas. That said,it
would not have been one of my favorite contests, regardless of other issues.
The bands are just too crowded whenever conditions are decent to EU. I ran
stations fairly successfully for about 25 minutes in the 17Z hour through S9
and over QRM, but that was the exception, many CQ's went unanswered. Sunday in
the 12Z hour, I had a nice run high in the band on 15 only to be interrupted by
one of the USA perennial single op leaders zero beat to the spot I had carved
out and obviously loud enough to hear me. Ten meters was spotty compared to the
last couple of years, but amazingly was open to all of EU at one time or
another, just never all at once. Runs were not nearly as long lasting and I
noticed a lack of USA stations calling CQ on Saturday. There were many more
runners on Sunday when 10 was slow to open to anywhere north of the
Mediterranean area.

My first decent run on 10 Sunday was after a short break at 1520Z when Germany
finally started booming in along with northern EU. Very few really rare
countries seemed to be active. A6 and A7 were well represented along with VU2.
Both days int the wee hours of the Indian morning at 18-19Z, 20 was wide open
to VU. There was also a good polar opening on 20 from 24Z-02Z including
northern EU. 20 was also pretty decent in all directions at the opening bell,
but the northern Caribbean was skipping over which also happened nearly the
whole test on 10 and at times on 15.

You really need a mega antenna farm to compete in the present environment on
SSB. As conditions decline, I may have to migrate more towards CW contesting.
Thanks to all of those ops whose ears a just recovering, QRM was at an all time
high. Ineptitude on copying zones was also the same; use your computer and it
will not let you down on Russians, YB's, VU's, etc. And no, I could not
possibly be in zone 9. Not signing call seems to have improved. Andy, N2NT at
V47T gets my vote for the most proficient DX runner even when dead tired.

73, Jeff