[3830] SS CW N9CO SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N9CO@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N9CO SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 12:03:34 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N9CO
Operator(s): N9CO
Station: N9CO

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 23:37

------------
  160:    0
   80:  225
   40:  470
   20:  201
   15:   23
   10:    0
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Got off to a slow start... checking too often on the Iowa vs. Indiana college
football game (go Hawkeyes!) and taking first off time to watch the 4th
quarter.  Iowa won, so it was worthwhile, and yes, it put me in a hole that I'd
never be able to climb out of.  Got back at it, stayed in the chair, and was
feeling surprising well 10+ hours in when the water softener started it's
recharge cycle.  My operating desk is 6' away from the softener, and when it is
in the middle of doing it's thing, it sounds like a jet engine readying for
take-off.  So, I took another break at 0730z.  Fell asleep this time, and
didn't wake up until around 1200z.  Got back at it around 1300z.

I found VY1AAA on 20m at 2250z on Sunday for the sweep - he was just barely
copyable here.  The last section before NT was AB.  I found VE6EX in my bandmap
low on 20m, but the rest of the mults found me.

Same setup here as always... SO1R... choice between my 30+ year old trusty
warhorse TS-930s and my 20 year old FT-1000MP.  I have both setup on my desk,
but haven't finished SO2R switching project.  Life keeps getting in the way of
this important stuff.  I started out using the 930, then switched to the MP on
Sunday afternoon, so I guess technically I *used* 2 radios, only not at the
same time!

Outside, my Cushcraft XM-240 2el yagi @ 95' continues to work well.  It's the
oldest antenna (and only commercial one) that I have.  It went up in 2001.  For
20m, my homebrew 4el 20m "baby OWA" yagi @ 85' (26' boom) works very
well.  The 15m homebrew 5el yagi is down for re-design... it's done, but
haven't put it up yet... maybe next year... so I used the XM-240 on 15m with
help from rigs internal auto-tuner.

Classic N1MM for logging.  Only spotting assistance was RBN, filtered for W9.
If the RBN nodes in Wisconsin and Illinois can't hear it, then I don't see it
in my bandmap.  I only really use it on Sundays, when things are slow.

73 and thanks for all the qso's!

Charlie  N9CO