[3830] NCCC Sprint K8MR LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K8MR LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 03:50:41 +0000
                    NCCC Sprint - Nov 13

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): .5

  160:
   80:  19     15
   40:  21     17
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  40     32  Total Score = 1,280

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Back in FL for the winter. Tonight I operated from the minivan, using a 33 foot
wire fed against the van body, with a loading coil for 80. It worked pretty
well. Oh, and did I mention I was five feet from salt water? This was at the
same location where I did the 2015 ARRL CW DX test - a QTH photo is in the ARRL
online soapbox for that contest.

I was seated in a lawn chair in the back of the dark van, with the K3 sitting
on another lawn chair, and the computer on my lap. To change bands I had to get
out and add or remove a clip lead across the loading coil. When I was ready to
go to 80, I set the computer of the floor, crawled out the back, and removed
the clip lead. When I came back in the computer was dark. It took about four
minutes to boot up and load  N1MM, while I got to listen to lots of loud
signals. When it was finally ready, the first QSO was K4XU, not bad for a
little piece of wire.

I called N3QE on 20 at the start, but no QSO. I did encounter one problem I
rarely have at home: too many people calling! With the less than optimal
ergonomics in the van I sounded like a lid at times, but hopefully future
iterations of this setup will take care of that.

Signal reports, especially on 80 will be appreciated. Last winter I wrote up
this antenna system for QST, but they declined to publish. There are a few
significant editorial improvements I have in mind, one relating to more details
on the 80 meter configuration.

The trip to the waterfront location is not difficult, but in future weeks I may
be lazy and just operate from the condo parking area. In any event, I hope I
will be more appreciated than I am as just another Ohio guy  :-)

73  -  Jim  K8MR/4