[3830] WAE RTTY AA5AU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] WAE RTTY AA5AU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 04:30:13 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   28    28     0    14
   40:   43    43     0    10
   20:  144   204    60    37
   15:  233   871   638    78
   10:   60   218   158    42
-------------------------------
Total:  508  1364   856   190  Total Score = 582,428

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, what a great weekend. Friday night I rested. Saturday morning I worked some
of the contest then spent the afternoon refurbishing an EHU (element housing
unit) for my 3-element SteppIR yagi that failed two weeks ago. I took the parts
from an older unit that was damaged in Hurricane Isaac in 2012 and was able to
make a working EHU. By the time I finished the refurb, the wind had died down
and it turned out to be a beautiful day. I climbed the tower and re-installed
the EHU and reflector tubes back on the antenna. I was also able to climb my
smaller tower and move my 2-element SteppIR back to the correct azimuth after a
recent windstorm. When I finished, I had about an hour of sunlight left to work
Japan on 15 meters. The antenna worked perfectly!

Sunday I also got to work part of the contest but had to leave during the peak
European opening in the morning to take the XYL grocery shopping. I was then
able to spend the most of the rest of Sunday afternoon in the contest where I
exceeded my expectations by scoring over a half million points!

Highlight of the contest was working SM5S who asked that I send him QTCs. I did
and afterward he said it was the first time he had received QTCs and thanked me
for the tutorial I wrote on operating WAE RTTY with WriteLog. Glad I was able
to help!

Band conditions were decent and it was nice to see both 10 and 15 meters open
to both Europe and Japan.

See you in the Ten-Meter RTTY Contest in December.

73, Don AA5AU