[3830] SS SSB K5IT Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, johnlaur@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K5IT Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 04:44:34 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K5IT
Operator(s): K5IT
Station: K5IT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

------------
  160:
   80:    9
   40:   53
   20:   82
   15:   25
   10:
------------

Club: Panhandle DX & Contest Club

Comments:

A lot of factors such as zero preparation and having lots of prior commitments
during the contest led to a much lower score than last year. I do not think it
will be competitive at all, but my search/pounce rate has improved. Managing
weak and crowded bands is now very easy thanks to Warren Pratt's new spectral
noise reduction filter (NR2) and spectral noise blanker (SNB) in OpenHPSDR
PowerSDR which I ran at all times. The only other DSP feature used was the auto
notch which flawlessly filtered out on-frequency tuning. I could not hear it at
all while the station running the freq always complained.

I had problems this year with (self-generated) QRM at my location. Cursed LED
lights. The S9+20 noise problem turned out to be a new 'dusk to dawn' LED
security light. Luckily I have it on a switch to override the photocell. The
remaining S9 noise issue turned out to be a sticking relay on my radio PA
board. A couple of minutes of 100W key down fixed that mid-Sunday morning.

The new shorter call helped, too (previous entries under KF5SAB), but I did
have some hangups since it's not in the partials database yet. This contest
will fix that.

73 to all,
John K5IT