[3830] SS SSB VE4VT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VE4VT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 12:09:53 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 23:19
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  139
   40:  453
   20:  712
   15:  269
   10:    4
------------

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Always look forward to this contest. So preparation started several days in
advance. Looking back on previous SSB-SS events I have learned that the
transition from band to band is always a problem and a real rate killer.
Especially the move to 40m on Saturday night. Go to early in an effort to
secure a frequency and you are CQing into an empty band. QSY to late and there
is no room to be had.

While getting the shack ready, I could not get the second rig to key from the
microham MK2R+. Wasted about 4 hours playing with the configurations and cables
with no success.

Started on 20m high in the band and ran decent rate for 3:15. Before leaving
20m, I had already put 78 mults in the log, missing only AB, QC, PR, VI, NL.
All the usual hard ones like ND, SK, NT, and NE had called in early.

Actually found a spot on 40m and soon had a run going. Added Alberta to  the
log and the mult total stayed that way until Sunday. Stayed on 49m as long as
possible as I dreaded the move to 80m. I have a 10-20/9 noise level here on 80m
and it is impossible to pull out the weak ones. I cut the power back to barefoot
150W on 80 so the receive/transmit coverage would be more balanced. I recorded
the entire contest so if you are interested in hearing what I hear on 80, send
me an email.

Took the usual 6 hour break from 0700 - 1300z. Very quickly found NL and VI on
20m. I had a station from QC call me for a chat that wasn't in the contest. I
dragged an exchange out of him but I eventually worked several others. So PR
was the last remaining section.  Enjoyed some good runs on 20 and eventually
moved to 15m. When rate slowed, started tuning around on the second radio.
Found a weak PR station on 10m but couldn't break his pileup with 100 watts and
a vertical. The sweep finally came at 21:49z when I found NP4G calling CQ on
15m. It took some timing balancing a run on 20m while calling him on 15m but I
was able to do the happy dance for a few seconds.

Didn't bother trying to run on 10. The few signals heard didn't justify the
rate sacrifice. 15 and 20 were in great shape for a domestic contest so just
stayed with them.

One of the lows in the contest was reading an email announcing the passing of
KL7RA. We had just exchanged emails the day before he entered hospital. A very
big loss to radiosport.

Hopefully no one missed MB for their sweeps. There was quite a few on. Thanks
for all the Q's. Hope to hear everyone in the RAC winter contest in a few
weeks.

Ed VE4VT/VE4EAR

IC7700/IC746Pro
3 el yagi @52 feet for 20/15/10