[3830] SS SSB KT4ZB SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt4zb@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KT4ZB SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 14:52:52 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KT4ZB
Operator(s): KT4ZB
Station: KT4ZB

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Savannah, GA
Operating Time (hrs): 13

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  619
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

I think I have a love-hate relationship with this contest. I enjoy the contest a
whole lot; but, part of me is a little too lazy to work that hard for 24 hours.
I think running low power doesn’t help either. So after getting a sweep, I
tend to take time off and do other things.

This year several of my ham friends worked on the tower and put up a new
Cushcraft 2 element 40 m beam just before CQWW. It worked well for the DX
contest so I wanted to see how it might work stateside. SS was the ideal time
to check out its performance on 40 m. Collecting 600+ QSOs in 13 hours using
low-power on 40 m was fantastic and fun. I felt strong most of the time and
VE8, HI and AK were all easy. Lots of good comments too. And for one of the few
times I able to hold a frequency for long periods of time. Longest run was 67
and best run rate was 105/hr. Made 78 of the 83 sections missing Utah, South
Dakota, Puerto Rico, southern Florida and Labrador. It's always interesting to
see how the different sections are on the air. For me in Savannah, South
Carolina can be difficult to work only hearing it on 80m many times. This time
I worked three South Carolina stations on 40m near the beginning of the contest
and I don't think I heard another one the rest of the contest.

Talked to many of the SEEC folks as well as the folks from Phone Fray. Special
shoutout needs to go to all those people who were on the air near the end of
the contest with very low numbers. It was pretty amazing to work one after
another with only single or double-digit serial numbers. My thanks to the
contest committee for sponsoring this great event.

Jere, KT4ZB
Yaesu FT-1000 MP, Mark V, Cushcraft XM-240 beam and N1MM+