[3830] SS SSB K1LT SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K1LT SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 15:09:33 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:  284
   40:   23
   20:   47
   15:   32
   10:   30
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I had no particular goal for Sweepstakes SSB other than to make 50,000
points for the Mad River Radio Club.  Also I wanted to see better
performance from my 80 meter vertical after putting down 21 more 90
foot radials bringing the total to 63 and replacing some of the skinny
aluminum above the HyTower with fat aluminum while repairing a "became
too short" problem.

I worked all of the typically difficult sections right off the bat
futzing around on the high bands including 3 NT stations.  40 was
messy and long just after dark so I went to 75 earlier than normal.
CQing on 75 brought contacts slowly but steadily on the relatively
empty band until a GW3 called me to say that I was operating in the
"European DX window".  I'm not sure what DX he expected to hear but
got off the radio until my extreme annoyance with phone operation
subsided.  I watched some DVR'd TV, spent some time on the phone for
work and had a nice sleep.

Sunday I felt guilty about quitting so I kept coming back to the radio
between work phone calls and filled in the rest of the western
sections including a 4th NT (!), AK, VE7 (!!) and SB (!!!).  I found
NL without trying during that time.

When 75 meters became productive again, I CQed for quite a while until
the section count climbed.  EMA (!!!!), SNJ, KY, SC, and AL were my
last 5 sections.  I had to resort to the spotting network to find SC.
AL called me just as I began my last CQing effort at 0100Z to finish
the sweep.

With the sweep in the bag I could alternate tuning and CQing until
time ran out.  I worked several more AL stations and a couple more KYs
and EMAs but W4GE was the only SC section.

Equipment: Elecraft K3, P3, Alpha 8410, Cushcraft X7 up 60 feet, full
sized 80 and 40 verticals on the ground.

PS: I sent "B" but operated "U".  Old habits ...