[3830] SS SSB K9CT SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, craig@k9ct.us
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K9CT SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 19:15:35 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): K9CT
Station: K9CT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  297
   40:  571
   20:  298
   15:  152
   10:   36
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Please copy.....

My effort was the same but the result compared to last year is down by 300
qsos. The difference is the rate in the first few hours. Last year, I could run
well on 40 for most of the contest. I think that the upper bands were so good
early that most of the early operators never made it to 40 and just shut off
their radio. The upper bands do not favor us when the skip is long and I miss
those operators. It would be interesting to know how many operators are on for
the first few hours and never come back on.

My morning before the contest should have been routine. I was well rested and
ready for the event. However, mother nature had other plans as it was snowing
wet snow and blowing fiercely...the power was off and then on at least a dozen
times. UPSs in the shack were beeping like crazy. The amps would be on then
off...another three minutes that seem like an hour. Where are those solid state
amps?

In the setup, I noticed some unusual network issues and spent some quality time
figuring out why I had so much latency. Long story short, I got it going. I use
the UDP from N1MM for switching filters, antennas and SteppIR antennas...so you
understand the concern. I don't understand why Murphy decided that Saturday was
the day for this.

This is kind of like my golf game...I can always find a reason. Anyhow, I did
the best I could as we all do.

I again used the FlexRadio 6700 SO2R. The OTRSP works great and the Recording
on the Fly was easy to use with N1MM. I used a Maestro prototype for the
interface. This is a nice tool...just see a signal, touch the screen and
listen.   Complete band awareness for S&P and finding the new run
frequency. My hand was never very far from the keyboard.

It was terrific having so many stations on from AK and NT. Rich, KL7RA is
missed and his friends put on a grand show from AK. It is also nice to see the
effort in the remote from VY1AAA paying off...the side effect is getting more
people on from NT...and they had good conditions too!

My last few multipliers were NE, RI and then QC! I ended up working many from
those sections but it was surprising. Rare sections... 1-PR, 2-VI, 2-ONN, 3-NL,
4-MS, 4-MB. Most represented 75-VA and 73-MDC.

It was fun but not as much fun as CW. It is always nice to share a few words
with friends on voice.

73, Craig K9CT