[3830] SS SSB W1DYJ SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, larryb@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W1DYJ SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 00:56:40 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: ME
Operating Time (hrs): 11

------------
  160:    0
   80:   79
   40:   47
   20:    9
   15:   39
   10:    1
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Rig:    TS590S
Antennas:
        80, 20, 10      Fan dipole at 20' (SW-NE)
        40, 15          40M Vertical, 4 raised radials @ 10'
Logger: N3FJP Nov SS Ver 5.8

My first SS.  I didn't expect the sweep, so I'm quite happy with 78 sections.

Missed OK, SDG, NV, WY, and NE.  (Heard four of them but couldn't connect.)
I was happy to get all of Canada!

I have been concentrating on DX contests for the past few years.  I thought
it might be fun to improve my Maine QTH WAS totals for a change. I had
always thought the extended SS exchange would be a burden -- but I discovered
that the exchange slows everyone done a bit and I found the contest to be
quite gentlemanly!  This will probably become one of my favorites -- especially

once my CW skills are up to it!

My antennas in Maine are modest at best.  40 and 80 were the best bands.
The 80M dipole is so low that it is quite omnidirectional and works quite
well in the eastern US. 40 is OK -- nothing like a high dipole, but I have
no tall trees!

The dipoles on 20 and 10 are aimed poorly for domestic Qs. 10 seemed dead
all weekend; 20 was very noisy, probably because the 10 & 20 dipoles hang
on the side of the house.  (Plans are in process to improve this.)  Using
the 40M vertical for 15 makes the pattern too high, so it isn't very effective

either.  (One of these days I will purchase that upper HF yagi!)

Looking forward to next weekend and CQWWCW!

73, Larry -- W1DYJ