[3830] SS SSB K0HC(W0BH) School Club HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K0HC(W0BH) School Club HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 04:45:29 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K0HC
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: K0HC

Class: School Club HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 23.4

------------
  160:
   80:  268
   40:  286
   20:  427
   15:  365
   10:
------------

Club: Hesston College ARC

Comments:

Our 2015 Hesston College ARC Sweepstakes team included three aviation students
(Tyler, Elliott, Michael) and one computer science student (Brady), all
unlicensed. We didn't get as much practice in this year as in previous years
due to exceptionally busy schedules, but we did get valuable practice in the
California QSO Party and met a number of times in October and November to
practice logging and talking.

This year was about as unusual as Kansas weather (tornados, a blizzard and an
earthquake all in one week). We had a record slow start with 75 / 57 / 75 / 64
rates the first four hours (we often break 100) and it just got slower. On the
bright side, we broke our own club Clean Sweep record with Wyoming station
N7NKD who called us at 0705Z. The final five countdown was SFL, GTA, PR, SD,
and WY. We had two singleton sections, ONN and PR. It was great to take our
"overnight" break with the Sweep already in the log, but the 200 QSO
deficit from our average over the past eleven years made it bittersweet.

Sunday started out slowly, but midmorning, things began picking up. Sunday is
usually slow and gets slower, but this year we broke our average in all but two
of the last twelve hours, often by 10 or even 20 contacts.  We still have our
lowest score ever for 24 hours of operating, but at least Sunday was actually
fun!  Our "Sunday Sweep" attempt came up four short - ONN, NE, OK,
and PR (all not heard).

The students certainly had fun, too. They worked as a team at the run station
with one student logging and another talking. We didn't use the second S&P
radio as much this year, but it came in handy working mults on Saturday. The
students really appreciated those of you who took time to encourage them, and
we want to thank all of you for being out there for us to work. It was
especially fun to contact 14 (S)chool stations and chat for a bit. We hope to
hear you all again in 2016!

73, Bob, w0bh
trustee, k0hc
Hesston College ARC