[3830] SS SSB K5TA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K5TA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 05:14:32 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K5TA
Operator(s): K5TA
Station: K5TA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  122
   40:  534
   20:  409
   15:  504
   10:  159
------------

Club: New Mexico Big River Contesters

Comments:

I probably would have sat this year out if not for the club competition.  The
NMBRC has been ambushed a couple of times recently, and I didn't want that to
happen again!  Looks like we did pretty well.

When I built this house in 1977, you could step outside and see the milky way
almost every night, and the radio spectrum was absolutely pristine.  Over the
years, unobstructed half-mile views have been split into 2-acre fenced lots
with big houses and barns, a small airport has become a gigantic mall, and a
multi-billion-dollar Intel plant has sprawled across the western horizon
("Jobs, jobs, jobs...").  The dark sky and the quiet bands are no
more.  Lately, it has been worse than ever, with some obnoxious devices in the
neighborhood wiping out 160 and 80 meters, and the electric company creaming 10
and 15.

This fall I feel like George, a character in the short story "Harrison
Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut.  The Handicapper-General must have been
displeased by my success last year, and since everyone in the nation (of the
story) is required by law to be equal, I seem to have been issued these
handicaps to bring me into compliance.

Seriously, it has been a bummer, but on the other hand, it would be a shame to
miss Sweepstakes.  Glad I didn't.  Thanks for all the Qs, and I apologize to
the stations that I couldn't quite hear....

73, Scott K5TA