[3830] CQWW CW SM0W SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, teemu@sm0w.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW SM0W SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 13:05:04 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: SM0W
Operator(s): SM0W
Station: SM0W

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: The Hill
Operating Time (hrs): 38

  160:
   80: 2404    35      110
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2404    35      110  Total Score = 589,280

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

First of all - still beeing very tired not sleeping enough and regularly for a
few days I feel euphoric! Man I had fun this weekend!

This year my plan was to play around the bands just for fun and have a
"comftable" weekend. Thus the plans changed during the week prior to
the contest. Something happened to our worst friend and enemy - the Sun! The K
indexes during the week was very low, and the predicted forecast said that our
big glowing pal would be sleeping for the remainder of the week.. So I thought
what the heck, I just have to take this opportunity to play on my favourite
band 80m !

I prepared the family at home, Im gonna dissapear for three days, im going off
the grid! Prepared myself staying awake the night between thursday and friday,
ended up falling asleep on the couch at 3AM, and woken up by alarm at 9AM,
drove up to the station on friday at noon and made all preparations before the
contest finishing about 7 PM in the evening when I went to sleep. Woke up an
hour before the games began and shortly got on air to warm up a suitable
frequency. 80m was boiling! You could almost get a sensation of
"trigger-happiness" everybody just waiting to hit F1 and make a Run
for it!

So it started at 00Z , and 80m started behaving just like 15m when you get that
super opening, I had to check.. am I really on 80m! Yes I am! The first night
produced an amazing NA run.. not like the one i had in 2010 but some 500 NA's
was logged.. After the first night hitting the couch two hours post sunrise i
had 1k QSOs in the log. The euphoric sensation started here.. if only... if
only this propagation would continue!So it did, 80m was really smoking to the
east in the evening and the evening produced about 100 JA's into the log!

Then some time around midnight the magnetometer in Kiruna northern SM started
shaking effecting propagation slightly.. and the rates went down. The rest of
the contest was just "sitting it out" making QSO by QSO, sometimes at
50 Q/hr... sometimes at 20Q/hr.. Slowly and steadily building the pile of
contacts. During the second night I started SO2V'ing at times picking stations
not worked and a few mults. Im really jealous of my friend Mike SJ2W having
in-band tower 500m away from his station so he is able to listen while TXing..
maybe something to think about implementing =)

I missed zones 1,2,6,34 and 37.. Was called on sunday evening by KH6LC, man he
was weak but Im very happy for that long-haul contact and double mult!

In total 23% of the stations logged was NA's and 10% was Asians.

Equipment used:
FTDX5000MP + Amp

Antennas:
- 3 el Yagi on a 45m tall tower, and the station itself on a hilltop.
- 10 beverage antennas in 10 directions in the woods.

Thanks to everybody who called, I had a blst!

73 de Teemu SM0W
http://sm0w.com