[3830] CQWW CW VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB(A)/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, joel.weiner@ualberta.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB(A)/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:48:27 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6WQ
Operator(s): VE6WQ
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: AB
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40: 1192    39      128
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1192    39      128  Total Score = 501,835

Club:

Comments:

Very weird conditions this weekend on 40. After a week of really superb HF
conditions I had a feeling it wouldn't last. Friday evening started out ok with
S&P picking up a number of mults and the big EU stations. Couldn't get any
runs going until about 0430 when conditions turned really strange. Although the
auroral sites did not indicate any serious disturbance I could only work US
stations beaming north. Almost nothing heard beaming south. The stations were
fluttery and buzzy reminisent of 6m aurora. There must have been an auroral
cloud just over us. Interestingly the spots for me from as far away as ZL
indicated a very arctic fluttery signal. Saturday morning produced a very
limited JA opening but most SE Asia mults were worked by 1600. Saturday
afternoon around 2100 produced some strong EU signals and I was looking forward
to some good runs. About 30 minutes later the band just dropped out and no EU to
be heard at the normal optimal sunset times. The band didn't return until about
0130 when EU could be heard again. Had several hours of decent runs to US and
EU from out 0300 until about 0800. After a relatively poor opening on Saturday
morning there were no JA signals on Sunday morning. Worked some US but only 4
or 5 JA. This really hurt the QSO total.  Finally decided to call it quits at
1600 as not much on the band to work.

Missed zone 22. Heard VU2PTT and 8Q7DV but too weak and couldn't get through
the EU pileups.

As always Don was a great host making the station available and making sure I
had food and drink.

Equipment: ICOM 756ProII, homebrew amp, two 5 ele yagis each at 150ft plus a 3
ele and a large log.