[3830] CQWW CW VE3RSA SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tom_cleveland@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3RSA SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 05:56:39 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3RSA
Operator(s): VE3RSA
Station: VE3RSA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  169
   20:   99
   15:  161
   10:   31
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Definitely an event worth losing sleep over!  In the Grand Tradition
of contesting, I was installing / repairing  antennas and feedlines in
the 2 hours prior to the contest. Had my main 12V power supply stop
working 5 minutes in , but the saving grace of QRP with a K2 is that  a
replacement is pretty easy to come by .

 I echo W6JTI's comments about the  lack,  from  a few stations, of a
"TU",
"QSL" or other indication that an exchange  was completed. A simple
"R",  seems a reasonable expectation when finishing a QSO. In general
I find the operating level is pretty high for CQWWCW.

 I'm sure most seasoned QRP ops already knew this, but I've learned the
hard way that, with  all but a few exceptions , its better to hold back my
report until my callsign  is absolutely confirmed by the other op when there is
difficulty copying my call. While it is  tempting to expedite the QSO by
sending your call a couple times and your report, expecting that now that the
frequency is quiet(er?!), the other op will hear you well, this can result in
busted QSOs and lost points /and multipliers. And as if getting the Ops
attention the first time was hard... well... Live and Learn.

 The last few hours of the contest , 15M was impressive. I heard several
countries for the first time [ caveat - my antennas are simple : homebrew 43'
vertical and 2el  20-15-10m beam at 30', and G5RV at 40'  , so this list may
only be exciting for me....
  NEW :  BY, 9M6, HS,HL,VU, ZA (and C9 on 20) . WOW!!  Of course WORKING  all
those is my next challenge  :-)

Best DX was finding VK2IA calling CQ , with no takers after switching to
15M and just coincidently landing on his frequency!  One call - Done !

 Maybe it was the lack of sleep but I started to wonder, at one point on Sunday
while scouting a pileup for a pattern, if a secret coalition of SDR users were
somewhere recording the entire contest for future playback and
"re-living" it ("re-contesting" anyone?)?  If you are not
familiar with the Internet version of this, type "Internet Wayback
Machine"  into your search engine and explore the past of the internet.
Wouldn't it be nice to have the same facility 5 years from now on the CQWW
contest web page..? Go back and re-run the contest?
I can see the  menu now..

   Line Scores >
   Search >
   Full Results Articles >
   LiveContest(TM) Replay >

I'd sign up for that :-)

  Thanks again for all the Qs .. see you next year... as always, I hope to be
 louder, smarter, and have better antennas ...well... better antennas at
least..

 Best 73

 Tom