[3830] CQWW CW OZ1AA(@OZ5E) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW OZ1AA(@OZ5E) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 17:10:37 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OZ1AA
Operator(s): OZ1AA
Station: OZ5E

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OZ
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:  289     8       45
   80:  957    22       74
   40:  980    32       95
   20:  667    24       79
   15: 1165    30       91
   10:  147    20       55
------------------------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

My last CQWW from OZ was back in 2004. Not that I have missed a single CQWW CW
since then, but I have been lucky enough to have done the the contest from 4
continents. It was good to be back on home soil - especially after receiving
the invitation to operate from OZ5E. Thanks guys!

A couple of weeks before the contest I wasn't even sure I would be able to take
part. I lost my mom to cancer last month. Then I realized that if there is one
thing this wonderful hobby of ours offers, its a free space for 48 hours where
all that matters is QSOs and multipliers. Sometimes we all need an escape...

The true highlight of the contest was working so many friends from around the
world - people I had met on my travels, and many I had even stayed with. As
they called in I would imagine their shacks and antennas, and of course the
persons behind the calls.

On Sunday night Denmark was hit by the worst storm in years. We had to lower
the 20 meter antenna but I few more multipliers made it into the log - even
with the beam at 1 meter above ground. The OZ5E shack is literally a shack, and
as the storm hit the walls started to shake. The gusts were now well into the
hurricane category.

A moment later QTH owner Jan OZ1ADL came into the shack explaining that the 15
m beam had come down and so had a part of the  roof on one of the buildings! I
think we both expected the 160 and 80 verticals to come down as well, but on
the other hand I wanted to break 4000 QSOs. We though I might as well operate
until the end. It somehow felt like being on Titanic...

The storm was powerful but it was all over rather fast. An hour later the winds
had already returned to more normal levels, and we didn't loose more antennas.
Quite the adventure!

Thanks for calling in. Next year my 5th CQWW continent might be Africa. Already
looking forward to another round.

73,

Thomas OZ1AA
--