[3830] CQWW CW K1TO(@W1WMU) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1to@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K1TO(@W1WMU) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 04:12:45 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: W1WMU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ME
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:  222    14       53
   80:  345    19       77
   40: 1692    30      102
   20: 1165    34      105
   15: 1274    31      107
   10:  113    22       59
------------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Thanks again to Pat, W5WMU and Alice for graciously hosting me for a week at
their W1WMU QTH in extreme eastern Maine, where VE9 is visible across the bay.

SOABHP unassisted remains a very competitive category.  N6MJ's performance from

ZF has no doubt stunned the world  -- huge congrats to the reigning WRTC co-
champ.  And the resounding first victory by Kevin, N5DX operating from NY is
quite impressive as well.  BZ to K0DQ for again winning Maine and to K1DG for
giving Scott a run for the money.

Weather allowed much outdoor work to be completed during the week, and thanks
to Pat's son Doug for doing lots of work during the year including replacing a

fallen tower and its beams.  There were many challenges as the week progressed,

but we slowly whittled away at the pile.

Right as the contest started, I realized that the Insert key was not sending
the report, so I had to manually hit F2 for every QSO.  Same for the F3-TU and
ENTER combination to log each QSO.

Saturday at 2300Z while on 40M, the ACOM amp suddenly faulted and the 8-pak
lights flashed that they had no communication with the relay box.  I marched
downstairs to announce that the contest was over for me, but about 8 minutes
later, the faults had reset.  But the 40M beam was apparently permanently
damaged as RBN analysis showed us being at least 10 dB weaker for the rest of
the contest.  Also, the only rotatable antenna, a TH7 at 55', was clearly not
working, so it was a struggle at times to work stations in the directions that
the fixed beams were not pointing.  I quit again Sunday afternoon as it was
clear that running on 40 was no longer an option, but then decided to operate
the duration after all the effort expended so far.

Anyway, CQ WW CW is the pinnacle of each contesting year and it was a blast to
work so many friends and familiar calls, and to at least make up a bit of
ground on the ME men.

Thanks to all of you for the contacts and see you next year for sure.

Happy Holidays and vy 73, Dan, K1TO