[3830] CQWW CW VR2XAN M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vr2xan@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VR2XAN M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 16:43:20 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VR2XAN
Operator(s): VR2XAN IV3SKB IK2PFL
Station: VR2XAN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Peng Chau Island
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   30    10       14
   80:  219    21       60
   40: 1106    28       96
   20:  713    36       97
   15: 1313    35      109
   10:  523    26       71
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

After more than 20 years of contest activity, for the first time I organized a
M/S during the CQWW CW!
Two great Italian CW operators (Andrea IV3SKB and Luca IK2PFL) travelled from
Italy for almost 20 hours to arrive in "my" small Island of Peng
Chau, 8 km away from the Island of Hong Kong.

The small terrace of my house on the top of the Island was big enough just to
install the main antenna for the RUN Station: a 2 elements Delta Loop for 10,
15 and 20 meters and to install also a 15 meters pole for the 40 meters fixed
Delta Loop and the 160 meters dipole.
Thanks to a kindly neighbor, I could install in his garden the 80 meters full
size quarter wave vertical with elevated radials and the 2 Elements yagi (Ultra
Beam) for the Multiplier station (Thank you to my friend Andrea IK7YTT that lent
me the Ultra Beam!).

We ended the installation of the two stations (RUN+MULT) just a few hours
before the beginning of the contest and from the beginning of the contest we
noticed that the propagation was... TERRIBLE!
During the first day 10 Meters were completely closed and we ended the first
half of the contest with 89 QSO in the log (on 10!). Always on first day the
propagation on 15 closed around 19.00 local time while 20 meters closed at
20.30 local time. A nightmare!! Fortunately the first night has been quite good
on 40 meters, with a low noise level. But we have always to remember that VR2 in
not CN or D4 and the North American and the European stations are reeeeeeally
far away!!!!

Second day appeared little bit better with a few hours of opening on 10 and in
the end of the afternoon we logged a total 532 QSO but 15 and 20 meters are
closed about 45 mins earlier than the first day!! During the second night the
noise level on 40, 80 and 160 was incredible high (at least S7) and the rate
was veeery low (20 to 30 QSO/hour).

We ended the Contest far away of our minimum target of 7 Million points but of
course we couldn't do better. When the sun decide not to help... we are too far
from the NA/EU to made a decent number of QSOs (at least 5000/5500).

Anyway it's always very nice to meet our old friends and to share with them
some great moments.
A big thanks also to David, VR2YDC! Whithout his techical support we couldn't
complete the installation of the station!

Best 73
Alberto VR2XAN (IV3TAN)

RTX RUN: Icom 756 ProIII + Chinese Amp + MicroHam
RTX Mult: IC9100 + Alpha 78 + MicroHam

Antenns:
2 el Delta Loop 10, 15 and 20 meters
2 el Yagi (Ultra Beam) 10, 15, 20, 40 meters
1  Element Delta Loop 40 meters
1/4 wave vertical on 80 meters
1/2 wave dipole on 160 meters

Russian Band Pass Filters R-Quad (veeeery good)