[3830] ARRL 160 N2GZ SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2gz@gregzenger.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N2GZ SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 19:49:20 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N2GZ
Operator(s): N2GZ
Station: N2GZ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 356  Sections = 71  Countries = 23  Total Score = 70,525

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

100% S&P, as I have not built the confidence to call CQ on CW, especially on
160 where I have difficult hearing many of the stations.

I am not a night owl to say the least, but I wanted to chase down those last 5
states I needed for 160m WAS, and add a few countries to my 160m DXCC list. I
set out stay up the whole night, and was generally successful.

I was able to keep myself alert until about 0900z Saturday morning, so I missed
the KH6 and KL7 which may have been workable at my sunrise. Very little DX was
heard on the first night.

Saturday afternoon I decided to hang a hammock from the rafters in the station.
 This turned out to be a great idea. This allowed me to set an alarm and take
20m naps between scanning the band for new ones.  Comfortable enough to doze
off in, but not familiar enough to fall into a deep sleep, which would be game
over for me.  It worked... I was conscious at sunrise! I heard [just barely]
both KH6 and KL7, but neither made it into my log.

My Pacific facing beverage was a godsend. It was my best antenna for 90% of the
contacts I made.  Best DX to the south was PZ5RA, though I did hear CX/W1UE
briefly. I don't have a southward facing Beverage.

I have been having trouble with my NE facing beverage... I walked it last
weekend... half of it (the middle half) was missing. sheared in two places with
no sign of the middle segment. Knowing I would want it this weekend, I told
myself to repair it, but of course I didn't listen. There was much more DX
available on the second night... and I sure did wish I had it at my disposal. I
am rather deaf into Europe without it.  I did manage to work a few new
countries, which I suppose isn't so hard when you are just getting started.
Thank you to the DX stations who put up with me deafness... Sometimes it took a
few tries to copy my own call with the QSB on the band and the QRM from the
splatter from the local stations.

I had fun!  I genuinely like the challenges this band brings, and I don't mind
at all the slower CW speeds.
Sections Missed: PR, SFL, WTX, AK, WY, NT, ONN, PAC and several of
California's.

I am  now just one to go on 160 WAS... Alaska!