[3830] ARRL 160 W1TJL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1tjl@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W1TJL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 20:28:34 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W1TJL
Operator(s): W1TJL
Station: W1TJL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: FN32na
Operating Time (hrs): 5 Hrs

Total:  QSOs = 277  Sections = 75  Countries = 6  Total Score = 44,025

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I had plans to do a nearly full effort for this one but as usual life gets in
the way!  First Murphy.  On Friday I went out to raise the tower to it's 90 ft
height and found that the winch controls had all been fused!  When we had all
that rain last week after CQWW we had some lightning and I think that the winch
was hit.  Anyway, I found a blown Full Wave rectifier and the 2 switches were
frozen / fused.  I took the controller apart and it was a MESS - all carbon
black and destroyed.

So on Saturday AM I took the winch apart and replaced the full wave bridge and
used the wire nut method of making the contacts and raised the tower.  Now the
160 was up.  Then I got a phone call reminding me that the local volunteer fire
department dinner which I volunteer at was that night and "Gee, we forgot
to tell you.  Can you make it??"  LOL  Well it is a good cause so I went
and helped them for a few hours and then came home to operate.

Doing pretty well, the new 160M "C" antenna was really playing.  The
new beverage was amazingly quiet and I could hear very well.  Till about 3:30
AM.  Suddenly the beverage lost MOST of it's signals.  had to go back to the
transmit antenna.  Gave up about 4:00AM.

This morning I went out to look and found a large, wet branch had fallen on the
wires and shorted them out.  I didn't break them but was effectively shorting
out the antenna.  Grabbed the saw and removed it and the beverage was again
working.

None the less, I'm pretty happy with the C antenna and the beverage.  And I'm
happy that I was able to spend 5 or so hours in the chair.  And as always it
was FUN!

73, W1TJL