[3830] ARRL 160 W6PH Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W6PH Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 21:43:32 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 547  Sections = 77  Countries = 7  Total Score = 95,424

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment: K3 SPE 1.3K-FA
Antenna:  Homebrew inductively loaded sloper below 5L 10M yagi at 60 feet

I thought that conditions were not that great.  I had atmospheric noise at S5
to S7 both nights.  Additionally signals were generally weaker than in past 160
contests.  A marker for me is the quantity and strength of signals from W1.  I
had less than 10 contacts this year with W1 and they were in and out of the
noise.

The band does not go long until 4 pm PST.  Signals from well equipped stations
all over the US start arriving and many are workable.  After about an hour the
band goes into a lull and comes out fairly strong around 7 pm.

Without a receiving antenna I am an alligator at times as the noise masked many
callers.  I apologize for that.

A friend called in late Saturday night asking if I had heard NE which I had
not.  After we signed, a NE station called in two contacts later.  I was still
missing WTX on Sunday morning and calling CQ with no answers.  A very faint
K5OAI called in as the sky was getting light and gave me WTX as my last
contact.

I ended up missing NL, VT, NNY, ONN, PR, and NT.  DX were VP2, PJ2, VP9, TI,
JA, XE, and C6.

My enthusiasm level wasn't that high with all the noise.  I quit at 10 pm on
Friday night and at 11 pm on Saturday night.  I did get back up for the last
two hours of darkness both mornings but most of the band had been worked out.
In general I thought activity was lower than in past years.

73, Kurt W6PH