[3830] ARRL 160 N7GP(N5IA) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5ia@zia-connection.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N7GP(N5IA) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 01:28:37 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AZ -- DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 31
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 1134  Sections = 81  Countries = 22  Total Score = 251,835

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Well, I could copy and paste here my report for the 2014 event and 95% of it
would be true for this year.  It is one year later and the azimuth selection
for the TX array is completed, but otherwise it is the same story.

Last year --- QSOs = 1,281  Sections = 80  Countries = 9  Total Score =
245,106

This year --- QSOs = 1,134  Sections = 81  Countries = 22 Total Score =
251,835

The capability of directing the TX RF towards the desired location does have
tremendous benefit.  The quantity of countries attests to value of that
feature.

I have less local noise to the east, but Murphy paid a visit and the Internet
had to suffer listening to the garble.  For the most part, I had to not run and
just S & P until the circuit returned to normal.  That situation, for the
most part, is what hurt the Q count and caused it to be ~150 less than last
year.

The poor conditions, especially to the Pacific, were added upon in that
direction by even more electrical noise.

One previous outing a few years ago, I worked all Sections minus NT.  The same
again this year.  I suppose the VY1JA station upgrade hasn't gotten to the 160
Meter portion.  Perhaps next year.  Always next year.

I put out a blurb to the Arizona Outlaws recommending a start at the gun (two
hours before sunset) and consider those two hours as a tailgate party before
the big game starts.  This year was a good one.  N1MM+ tells me I had 82 Qs in
40 Sections before 0000Z as the sun set over the purple hills to the west.

The Section winners of the Q count providers to my log are as follows:

Virginia  = 49
Illinois  = 47
Minnesota = 45
Ohio      = 44
Arizona   = 39 -- Thanks for the outlaw support

Only VI, PR and AK checked in with one Q.

The high State count still goes to California with 91.
Texas came in 2nd place with 62.

On the DX side 12 Euro stations called me from 7 different countries.

VK4MA was the only Southern Pacific station worked.

The JA count was 18 for night one and 12 for night 2 for a total of 30.  I
apologize profusely to the many JA stations who were calling that I could not
get more than a single letter in the call sign.

HL, UA9 and V6 completed the roster from the west. I heard the 3D2 very well
but before I could get a spot in the run to call him he was gone.

I believe I worked all the Caribbean stations available.  A couple of Central
American and northern tier South American stations completed the list of the
countries worked to the south.

I would be remiss if I didn't thank the 63 Canadian stations whose call signs
are in my log.  And to the 5 Mexican colleagues who checked in from the south
les digo muchas gracias.

The dupe count was up considerably, most likely due to my poor CW during prime
time both nights.

Now to get some work done and be ready for the Stew.  CU all there.

73 de Milt, N5IA, operator of N7GP