[3830] ARRL 160 AE0EE Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 AE0EE Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 04:33:06 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 23

Total:  QSOs = 465  Sections = 71  Countries = 2  Total Score = 68,328

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W into a dipole up 20-30', keyed by hand with an iambic paddle and a
vibroplex bug.

A bit tough Friday night, but got better later in the evening as things thinned
out.  Saturday evening's propagation was terrible---I could hear a crowded band,
but stations were either ones I'd worked or couldn't hear me.  I called CQ
without much success, and finally established a productive run frequency when a
QRQ QRO QRM station took my frequency without so much as a "QRL?" or
"?".  After that I took a break for much of the evening to work on a
30 m antenna, and not much rate was lost.

Late Saturday night conditions improved, and I managed to get some productive
BIC time in until around 0900z.  Propagation was bad around sunrise, with few
stations heard and even fewer new ones.

I started out on an iambic paddle.  I'm not sure whether accumulated debris
made the contacts have issues or if the heat of calling CQ a lot made the keyer
malfunction, but I had trouble where the dash paddle would just stop sending
dashes.  Since I've been making strides in using a bug, I pulled it out and
went from there, pounding out probably 300 of the QSOs without any electronic
assistance.

I got KH6 this year, but missed KL7, so I'm now just one state away from WAS on
160 m.  I also think I added a new country (TI) to my DXCC chase.

For next year, I'd like to get more proficient with the bug, or else to make
sure I have a reliable iambic paddle and keyer system.  An improved transmit
antenna would be nice too, but we'll see what I can manage.

Comparison with last year:
Up: states, countries, bug use
Down: QSOs, sections, score, propagation