[3830] ARRL 10 K1LT SO CW Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K1LT SO CW Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 04:02:57 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SO CW Unlimited HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 14.5

   CW:  743   128
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  743   128  Total Score = 380,416

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I did not enter this contest with any particular goal in mind.  I half
expected to blow it off because of a lack of propagation.  On the
other hand, there were no pressing chores for the weekend and the
child was away.  So I operated more than I expected.

The first night was the usual VHF contest except that there didn't
seem to be any sporadic E except for a narrow but weak pipeline to
Texas.

Saturday morning there was a weak opening to Europe which seemed to
last about 3 hours.  Didn't work anything further east than LY.  I was
only able to run Europe for about 40 minutes at 1400z.  At the time,
that seemed sufficient (low motivation).  At 1530z I ran again for
about an hour until the Gs and EAs stopped calling.

The afternoon had relatively weak stateside and but normal Caribbean
and South Americans, although ZF1A was very weak and I could not work
him.  So I went outside because the weather was warm and tried
diddling the driven element on the A3S to see if I could improve the
SWR.  I think I made it worse.  The antenna radiates acceptably, but
it gives the amplifier a hard time.  When I came back in, I worked a
few Oceania and WL7E by extreme ESP along with all the other
multipliers I could find by point and shoot.

Saturday evening I made just a few more VHF contest style contacts.
The first low motivation day was worth 288 QSOs.

Sunday morning started a tad earlier and I was able to work a few
Ukrainians plus a better assortment of European countries.  The first
run lasted about 100 minutes and the second run lasted about an hour.
Both had somewhat higher rates than Saturday.  The first run was on
28005 and I had some QRM from DX AM signals (South American taxi
intruders?).  My first run ended when 9J2BO started CQing about 200 Hz
below me.  So I worked him and left the frequency.

After the Europeans stopped calling, California kept calling.  So I
kept CQing for most of the afternoon.  Eventually I started up a few
Solitaire games to occupy my mind while the CQ machine did the work
during the lulls.  Because the QSOs kept coming, I kept CQing which
brought the QSO count to 455 for the day.  I stopped at 2200z to go
pick up the child.

The surprise multiplier callers were VP8NO followed immediately by
FW5JJ.  I also worked 5W, V7 (not in the test), a bunch of KH6s and a
fews VKs and ZLs.  The VKs had very nice signals.  The Oceania part of
the days sounded almost normal.  Not a trace of anything in Asia.
VY1AAA had a workable signal and no pile.

DX worked: 5R, 5W, 9A (3), 9H, 9J, CE (5), CM, CT (2), CU, CX (4), DL
(21), E7, EA (22), EA8 (2), EI, F (21), FG, FJ, FW, FY, G (9), GI, GU,
HA, HB (4), HC, HH, HI (3), HK, HP, I (15), J3, J6, KH6 (6), KL, KP2
(7), KP4 (4), LU (9), LZ (6), OA, OK (8), OM, ON (2), OX, P4, PA (8),
PJ2, PJ5, PY (28), S5 (8), SP, SV, TK, UR (4), V5, V7, VK (2), VP8, XE
(16), YL, YN, YO (5), YU (4), YV, Z3, ZB, ZL (5), and ZS (5) for 68
entites although KH6 and KL count as states.  Only 41 states (missing
NH, RI, NJ, DE, AL, AR, MS, WY, and KS), but 11 Mexican states.  115
Californian QSOs while the next most numerous state was Washington at
35 QSOs.

Equipment: K3, P3, Alpha 8410, X7 at 60 feet, A3S at 40 feet.