[3830] RAC Winter WB0TEV SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vmpaul@iname.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter WB0TEV SO SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 06:44:49 +0000
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: WB0TEV
Operator(s): WB0TEV
Station: WB0TEV

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 4:57

  160:
   80:   0       4       0         1
   40:   0     124       0         9
   20:   0     106       0        10
   15:   0      25       0         7
   10:   0      10       0         4
    6:
    2:
Total:   0     269       0        31  Total Score = 61,380

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

The RAC contests are among my favorites and being situated in North Texas is a
great spot for propagation into Canada on all the bands.  Having won the US 5th
Call district a few times in the MOST category (i.e. Assisted) this year I
decided to forgo the spots and just go straight SOAB SSB only.  Besides N8OO in
Louisiana would have creamed me in the US 5th call district MOST category
anyway.

I was planning a fairly full on effort in this one, but my employer had other
plans.  I got a bit of a late start when the XYL served dinner promptly at
0001Z and so didn't get on the air until 0043Z.  Then I had to leave for work
at 0200Z and didn't get home until after 1500Z.  Put in a quick 20 minutes or
so thereafter before collapsing into bed for some much needed horizontal
polarization.   Got up and was back on the air around 2040Z until the closing
bell.

Given the limited amount of time on the air, I did mostly search and pounce
against VE's, although I did have a short run on 20m and a 84 QSO 45 minute run
on 40m Friday night before work.

I was able to accomplish some successful moves Saturday after noon to up the
multiplier count.  Thanks to VE7CNW (moved from 15 to 10) and VE1SQ (moved from
20 to 15 and then to 10m).  VE8NSD called me on 10m but I didn't have the
presence of mind to try and move him to other bands at the time.  Fortunately I
ran into him again about 30 minutes later on 15 and successfully moved him to
20m.

Coming into the last hour I had no mults on 80 (having been at work in the
overnight hours) so in the last hour of the contest I went looking for some
both via calling CQ and Searching/Pouncing.  Thanks to VE3CX who was loud
enough and had good enough ears to QSO with me on 80m shortly after 2300Z and
to VA3DX who answered my 80m CQ a little later.  In the last hour I could hear
a VO1 on 3780 but he couldn't copy me, so the only mult I got on 80 was ON.

Missed NU and YT entirely, didn't even think there were any VY0's after VY0HL
moved to Newfoundland, nice to hear that VY0CF is now on the air from up there.
 Had better luck with NT, right after I worked VE8NSD on 10m, VE8RAC called in.
Only got 1 NB (on 40m) and 1 PE (on 20m).

Could have done better with more than 5 hours of operating time. I may just
have to take a day of vacation Friday July 1, 2016 for the Canada Day contest
to get a good VE fix!

Rig: TS590SG
Amp: Dentron MLA-2500
Antennas: Mosley Pro67B at 63 ft (40-10), 40m Vertical, 80m inverted V at 55
ft.

Thanks to the RAC for putting on a fine contest.

73 from Texas
Victor - WB0TEV