[3830] NAQP SSB NN4RB Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nn4rb@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB NN4RB Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 16:30:17 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: NN4RB
Operator(s): NN4RB
Station: NN4RB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 5:39

  160:
   80:   51    20
   40:   26    15
   20:   32    15
   15:   11     8
   10:   25     8
-------------------
Total:  145    66  Total Score = 9,570

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Started out OK, but did not keep BIC.
Most of my contacts were S&P.  I did make a short run on 10 meters.  Some
say the bands were good, but I did not think so.  10 and 15 quit (died) early.
20 seemed OK, but not great.  40 meters here was noisier than 80 meters.  My
best receiving on 40 was on an OCF with the attenuator set to 6 dB to drop the
noise.  Sounded like far away thunder storms at times.  Even the broadcast
stations were noisy. 80 meters was actually better receive than 40.  I used the
beverage most of the time there.

I needed to create a check off sheet before the contest like I have for the
end.  I missed that we could operate on 160, so I did not go there.

Not being a CW operator, I often hear how operators don't like SSB contesting,
but ignore it.  During this contest and afterwards, I see a lot of merit in
their statement.  Hearing the calls and voices of the calls I know is great,
however the noise with the  wider filters (I ran 1.8 kHz) is fatiguing.

Oh well, I will be back.

Rick
NN4RB
ICOM IC-756PRO III
(20, 15 and 10) Mosely TA-33jr, Ham IV @ about 40'
80 OCF dipole at about 44' ladder line fed. (KAT-500 at base. This antenna doe
160 meter as vertical with top cap.)
35' vertical on top of metal storage shed - Remote tuned TMC_ATS-2_Antenna
Tuner at antenna
450' Beverage