[3830] NAQP SSB K4BAI Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@att.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K4BAI Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 17:07:44 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:    4     4
   80:  104    28
   40:  110    45
   20:  250    40
   15:   74    27
   10:   12     5
-------------------
Total:  554   149  Total Score = 82,546

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC#1

Comments:

FT1000MP, 100W, TH6DXX, dipole, inverted vee, zepp, tee vertical.  Thanks to
Bill, K4BLL, who ran all six bands with me for six new mults since I had worked
no other GA station at that time.  This was a contest to test the resolve of
those how determined to be full-time.  I got a little over a half hour late
start due to a church meeting and lunch with the family afterwards.  10M was
only open to the west coast, but there were some very good signals.  15M was
fair to the west coast.  On both of these bands, the power line noise was very
bothersome.  I didn't hear the backscatter stations on the high bands this week
that were very eveident on CW last week.  Eventually, I did work WB2ZAB by
backscatter on 20M after it had gone long.  20M was long all day and there were
no signals from MO, AR, MS, IN, WV, or VA or otherwise in the 4th call area
audible.  I did hear N4RZ in KY with quite a good backscatter signal on 20, but
his pileup was so deep that I gave up after several calls.  40 had gone long by
the time I went there for the first time (I thought early, but obviously not)
at 2215Z.  I never worked anybody on 40 closer than KY or FL, other than K4BLL
and a late night QSO with AB4B in AL.  80M QRN was unbelievable.  I really made
only one or two QSOs on 80M before hooking up the 40M dipole as a lower noise
receive antenna, which enabled me to work most of my 80M QSOs until the last
hour or so when the QRN dropped enough so that I could copy some signals on the
transmit antennas.  Did work N6JW on 80 for my best DX on that band.  Speaking
of DX, it was nice to work 8P5A, ZF2PG, HI3TT, VP9NI (probably not really in
the contest, but was giving his name), LU1FAM, and PJ4DX.  160M was very
difficult as I don't have a good transmit antenna for that band.  A lot of
stations just couldn't hear me there, but I did work VE3MGY on 160M.  Thanks
for all QSOs and hope we don't have another contest with such bad conditions
any time soon.  73, John, K4BAI.