[3830] NAQP SSB K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 18:56:33 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 6:20

  160:   71    20
   80:  194    33
   40:   36    19
   20:    3     3
   15:    1     1
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  306    77  Total Score = 23,562

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Northwest 1

Comments:

Proudly -- and sadly -- used "Ed" this year, in memory of VE4YU.  I am
an ex-pat member of Radiosport Manitoba.  Had to explain to a few people why I
was not Art.  Surprised that I did not get asked more to confirm.

Score well down from last year, notably because 20M was already pretty much
dead when I started at 2340Z.  Only thing workable was the ZF, then down to
40M.  A little later I did get Colorado on 20M -- not easy.

My other QSO on 20M was the local with whom I later ran the high bands for the
MD multiplier.  Turns out I should have moved him to 40M, too, because I missed
MD there!

40M was too long for locals and near-Midwest, but not long enough for the
western NA.  Only about 12 QSOs on the first sortie.

Onward to the money bands, 80M and 160M.  (I'm a CW op, so I can call it 80M
instead of 75M).  New equation: Money = small change.  Still plagued by high
local noise.  It got quieter around 10PM (03Z) so maybe somebody turned off
their computer or TV and went to bed.  At one point in the night the noise
stopped for about a half second.  For a moment I thought the radio had died,
then realized that I was hearing the band the way it was supposed to be.

Anyhow, 36 QSOs in first 19 minutes on 80M.  During the first couple of hours I
had several 4-QSO minutes on 80M/160M.  Whee!  Nice rate, but weak on the
multipliers.  And with the local noise I'm sure I was an alligator.  I know I
got called by a few I just could not pull through.

Heard one ND, but not worked. Very few MN and WI, and even MI seemed down.

Occasional QSY to 40M for a few QSOs and mult's.  Even quick peeks at 20M,
hoping for at least a CA or AZ; no luck

Had a NB answer my CQ on 80M (yes!!), but I was not alert enough to try to move
him to 160M.  That was probably only the most obvious of my operating errors

I worked 8P5A and NP2X each on one band, then had them answer my CQ on a second
band.  (I say again: second-band QSOs in NAQP are too easy, but that's how
people seem to like it.)

A little way into my operation I had two visitors, brothers in 8th and 6th
grade.  I took a few minutes here and there to do some explaining.  They found
the operation fascinating.  There is hope!