[3830] NAQP SSB 4U1WB(AJ3M) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB 4U1WB(AJ3M) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 17:51:37 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: 4U1WB
Operator(s): AJ3M
Station: 4U1WB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:   46    17
   40:   45    19
   20:   61    21
   15:   42    16
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  195    77  Total Score = 15,015

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Part time effort from 4U1WB at the World Bank in Washington, DC. As many of you
know, the United Nations issued the 4U1WB call to the World Bank Amateur Radio
Club, which was established for present and retired staff of the World Bank
Group headquartered in Washington, DC.

Many people had difficulty copying the 4U1 suffix and asked for repeats. It was
probably because they did not expect to hear a call sign starting with a figure
in the NAQP. Or maybe it was because of my wicked good accent.

During the NAQP, a few asked me if I should give MDC rather than Maryland. I
gave them my exchange again or asked them politely to copy what I had sent. A
few others asked me if my call was 4U1WB/3 as I gave them MD as part of my
exchange. I gave them the correct call again. Our club’s call issued by the
United Nations is 4U1WB, not 4U1WB/W3.

A clarification is needed in the rules about what exchange stations in DC
should send. My interpretation of the NAQP rules is that DC stations are asked
to send Maryland as their location while the rules do not explicitly require
such stations to do so. Some DC stations interpreted them differently and sent
with pride DC rather than Maryland because I presume that their understanding
of "the District of Columbia counts as Maryland." is that they can
send DC as their location while they know that it is not a multiplier. As Rule
10 on the exchange does not say "station location (e.g., state, province,
and country)", the location must be "state, province, OR
country." DC is not a state. It is not a province. It is not a country. I
think I did the right thing for other contesters. I did not want to confuse
others. I presumed that some logging programs would not accept DC.

Please note that I am not at all campaigning to make DC a multiplier. I know
that some (mostly DC residents) feel strongly for various reasons that DC
should be a multiplier. I am not one of them.

Thank you for the QSOs.

73,

Masa, AJ3M