[3830] CQ160 CW W2FU Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2fu@frontiernet.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W2FU Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 13:28:14 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W2FU
Operator(s): K2TJ W2FU
Station: W2FU

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs): 6

Total:  QSOs = 103  State/Prov = 32  Countries = 0  Total Score = 7,068

Club: Rochester (NY) DX Association

Comments:

This was REAL FUN!

K2TJ and I dusted off a couple of boat anchors from the late 50s to see what it
would be like to operate in todays crowded contest band conditions......

Transmitter - Johnson Navigator - 25W
Receiver - HRO-60 - 'E' coil set General Coverage 900-2050 kc

We tried, but couldn't re-master a bug, so we cheated a bit and used an MFJ
keyer that had a grid block key output.  This was for the benefit of those that
were trying to copy our somewhat chirpy and off frequency signal.  We did log
and control antennas using a computer.

I originally wanted to use my Ranger, but it didn't cooperate and emitted funny
clicking noises from within. When W6TR stopped by to help us giggle like kids,
we dug into the Ranger while TJ was 'running' up somewhere between 1860 and
1880 kc.  Found the HV filter cap completely without capacitance anymore
causing the 5R4 to flash-over.  In true 50s style, we clip-leaded in a 16 MF
oil filled cap from an old Henry amplifier, and 'swapped' in the Ranger for the
Navigator.

TJ says he felt louder (50W now) and the Ranger did look a lot sexier and the
meter didn't slam around like the Navigator.  It also didn't chirp, but
listening to it on a k3, it sounded pretty clicky to me, so we yanked it after
a few QSO to return to the Navigator.  I will need to soften the keying up a
bit before we try it again.

No product detector
No AGC
Single pole xtal filter with ~ 8 KHz (errr 8 kc) 60 dB bandwidth
About 1/2 inch of scale for 1 Mc of the 160m band
No computer CW
No transceive, with the wide RX, it was a real challenge to call on-frequency
No reaching around the open Ranger chassis...one hand in your pocket

We never really copied any Europe, but we sorta heard a few.  With the wide RX
bandwidth, it was really hard to hear any weak ones.  I did copy a KP4, and
CW5W was quite loud.

Next time we may move up to the 60s where we can get some narrower bandwidth
and use radios from the SSB era!  We also need to practice with the Vibroplex
bug.

Jeff