[3830] CQ160 CW W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 01:12:49 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 11
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 562  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 12  Total Score = 86,645

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I operated my modest station in Ohio remote from my apartment in downtown Tokyo.
 The contest activity takes place during the day Japan time so, were I to be a
serious entrant, I would have an advantage since I wouldn't have to lose any
sleep to operate full time. The biggest barrier to putting in a full time
effort is boredom.  I always start these contests thinking I will go full bore
but the "bore" part wins out and I find myself looking for excuses to
do something else. I found several this weekend: taking a walk with the XYL,
going shopping with the XYL, having dinner with the XYL, reading the newspaper,
etc.

Activity in this event seems to have waned from years back.  Maybe the TBDC has
robbed this contest of some participation.  Years ago, I can remember that the
first few hours offered rates of 120-140, but this year my best hour was 96 and
I had only three hours over 70.  Maybe three 160 contests in the space of two
months is just too much for many ops.  I suppose if I had a lot of beverages
and switchable transmitting antennas,etc., this contest would be entirely
different, but it's pretty one-dimensional for a guy with 100 watts and a
dipole.

For a low power station in 8-land, the elimination of a DX window has really
hurt this contest.  It can take 3-4 minutes just to catch a DX station's call
when he is under a couple of S9+20 db east coast station working mostly other
east coast stations. It must be highly frustrating to operate this contest from
Europe.  Surely there's a better way.

I was happy to work KH7M and KH6LC after much calling and repeats.  Great ears
there.  I couldn't get KH6RS to hear me.  KH7M was loudest and very readable
for a couple of hours.

Station:  K3 in Ohio, K3/0 Mini in Tokyo + dipole antenna up about 50 feet.

73, Hal W1NN